Original hot dip galv. lines closed
Continuous hot dip galvanising in the Coatings One Department, originally known as the Marsh, ends after almost half a century. The first of the four continuous coil lines was commissioned in 1936 and the last, in 1960. Together they produced millions of tonnes of galvanised strip for a world-wide market and were the backbone of the business for many years. Advancement in coatings technology, increasing quality demands and the economic need for large scale production has made them obsolete.
A Colorcoat® Design Awards competition for architects is launched.