«1907 1908 1909 »

Headquarters moved to Deeside

An impressive new General Office has been built at Hawarden Bridge to replace Stalybridge as the new headquarters of John Summers and Sons Limited. The elegant symmetrical building of polished red brick and terracotta resembles the Midland Hotel in Manchester, both Edwardian-style buildings being designed by the same architect, James France, a friend of Harry Summers. The building has five storeys with an imposing castellated central clock tower.

John Summers and Sons form the Anglo-Argentine Iron Company (England) Limited, borrowing £250,000 from the bank, to enable it to pay off lenders and form the new company for the purpose of exporting large quantities of galvanised sheets through the port of Liverpool.